THE FORMBY & CONINGBEG MEMORIAL, THE QUAYS, WATERFORD:
A BRIEF HISTORY
These two Waterford steamers were considered modern and were fairly typical of their day. The twin sinkings occurred within a couple of days of each other, 15th and 17th of December 1917, while sailing from Liverpool to Waterford. The attacks were carried out by Commander Ernst Hashagen in U-62, and the result was a total loss of both steamers, and all aboard them. 77 crew and 6 passengers. Although the ships were built for cargo, with generous accommodation for passengers, there were few on board while they carried a ‘general cargo’.
The majority of the crew were from Waterford city. The long list also included gunners who manned the defensively armed steamers.